Centrifuges are rapidly rotating container that applies centrifugal force to its contents, typically to separate liquids from solids.
For the filtration the drum is perforated and is inserted with a filter, for example a filter cloth, wire mesh or lot screen. The suspension flows through the filter and the drum with the perforated wall from the inside to the outside. In this way the solid material is restrained and can be removed. The kind of removing depends on the type of centrifuge, for example manually or periodically.
The typical process includes filling, cake washing, spinning and unloading. One possible criteria of selection are based on the way to unload the solids, it characterizes the unique design. It can be done:
- Manually by opening the lid and shovelling off the solids for laboratories.
- Manually by opening the lid and shovelling off the solids.
- Manually by opening the lid, lifting the filter bag and discharging the solids.
- Automatically by peeling off the cake and discharging through the bottom.
- Automatically by inverting the filter cloth.